• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

POPULAR

If your are replacing or changing system files like (uxtheme.dll or imageres.dll) in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Vista then first you have to take ownership of the file and then grant your username full control of the file.

4xypyzd.png

Just add this file to your registry and right click on the file you want to own and click on "Take Ownership".
Attached File  own.zip   338bytes   36288 downloads
[own.zip mirror]

To remove the feature just run this file.
Attached File  own_rem.zip   248bytes   12906 downloads
[own_rem.zip mirror]

If you don't like above registry files, then follow these steps to do this manually:

1. Start button > All Programs > Accessories > Right-click on Command Prompt > Select Run as administrator > Click Continue.
  2. At the command prompt, input takeown /f filepath
  3. Now input icacls filepath /grant yourusername:f

:lamp: Or you can use this tool: Take Control, if you are afraid to play with registry files. The tool has been made by WinMatrix members XPero to take ownership and get full control of any system file with ease.

#2 parry

parry

Active WinMatrixian

• 710 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:18 PM

Now this makes thing much..much easier :D Thanks!

#3 cmkumar2k

cmkumar2k

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:39 AM

wow.. that's interesting.. :D

#4 Mohsin Naqi

Mohsin Naqi

WinMatrixian

• 100 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:34 AM

Thanks man, it will save me a lot of clicking and time.

#5 timbertide

timbertide

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,317 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

I'm using XPero's Take Control. It's working flawlessly.

#6 kaironxp

kaironxp

black cat sexy girl

• 468 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:37 PM

does it work with any version of Vista?? Spanish for example.

bye

#7 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

The One and Only

• 1,573 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:52 PM

Doesn't work for me... Windows Vista Home Premium, and I don't see it in context menu... :(

#8 WhistAler

WhistAler

WhistA

• 1,866 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

ShamusHand
Take Control works for me. Give it a try.

#9 nealloy

nealloy

Active WinMatrixian

• 485 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:30 AM

thank u very much. just one more thing if i select 'No GUY boot' to modify the boot manager i get a small notification from windows defender that some start up program has been blocked. how could i avoid this notification? and which file has to take ownership to replace that boot screen downloaded from ur post?

#10 AMIRZ

AMIRZ

Loyal Member and Friend

• 2,033 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:56 PM

:P Very useful tweak! Awesome! Thx! :P :)

#11 Guest_mysticado_*

Guest_mysticado_*

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hey guys,
the problem i'm having is that my windows is in german, so that your installer file can't find the folder "program files", but only "programme".
can you do something about it? I want WMP to be in the taskbar again :)

#12 Dudu Rocha

Dudu Rocha

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:44 AM

It's not working well in w7
it opens the cmd and run normally but when i try to use it in an instalation it not works :S
why?? :(

#13 baron75mk2

baron75mk2

New WinMatrixian

• 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:55 PM

It's not working well in w7
it opens the cmd and run normally but when i try to use it in an instalation it not works :S
why?? :(

i just downloaded & used this to get windows media player 11 for windows 7 installed & it worked perfectly - i`m on windows 7 ultimate (32bit - x86)- are you using a 64bit version of windows ? maybe its not compatible with x64 systems ? - also what file/folder are you trying to take control of ? - possibly if the file is in use you need to shut down the program that`s using it first (not sure if this is the case as when i did media player 11 i disabled it from the remove windows features list first)- also i had to re-boot before context menu was there - also maybe turn off uac as well as i dont have this enabled on my system & with this reg file installed i can take ownership of any thing on my pc - hope this helps it does work on 7

#14 hoofey

hoofey

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

i wanna take controle of WMP 12 files, to downgrade to WMP 11.
i dont understand that programm who can help me please.

#15 baron75mk2

baron75mk2

New WinMatrixian

• 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:49 PM

go to page 2 for solutions

Edited by baron75mk2, 22 January 2010 - 03:31 PM.

#16 baron75mk2

baron75mk2

New WinMatrixian

• 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

I have read about you problem on your other post & replied ill put it on this post as well

OK i have just gone back to wmp12 & started the process again to try & see what could be causing this problem - i encountered various errors & this was caused by 3 different mistakes (which i did on purpose - to try to find out why you were getting this error)
The first problem could be - did you first before installing & or taking control of the files disable the windows media sharing service? because when i deliberately left this stage out i got a whole ton of errors

the second & most likely problem is that this file has not been taken control of properly (take control of the entire folder by right clicking the windows media player folder & take ownership)& just for your own piece of mind find this file & take control of it - its in the media player folder (mpvis.DLL) also don't forget to take control of all the wmp files in the system 32 folder as well

the third problem was caused by the final stage - you will notice the last instruction tells you to delete a registry key did you just delete the keys or the whole folder ? as when i deleted the key only it gave me back mp12 so this time delete the whole folder

hope this helps - repeat the process as i have described & you should be rid of media player 12 & back on media player 11 in no time

#17 markjl

markjl

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:21 AM

Forgive me, but i need help. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and i followed all your instructions but still was not able to downgrade WMP12 to 11. I'm having problems taking ownership of the files found in the System32 folder and en-US folder but was successfully able to take ownership of the files in the WMP in the Program Files folder.

any ideas on what might be my problem?? or is it really just not compatible for x64 systems?

#18 bluenavy9

bluenavy9

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:07 PM

Forgive me, but i need help. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and i followed all your instructions but still was not able to downgrade WMP12 to 11. I'm having problems taking ownership of the files found in the System32 folder and en-US folder but was successfully able to take ownership of the files in the WMP in the Program Files folder.

any ideas on what might be my problem?? or is it really just not compatible for x64 systems?

Yup, same here. I'm also on the 64 bit version of Windows 7. Taking ownership of the Windows Media Player folder in 'Program Files' and 'Program Files (x86)' was a breeze. It was also easy to do the same thing in the system32 folder. But this system32 folder shows that I have ownership and the permissions, but does not act like I have ownership and permission. It says I do, but I really do not. Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#19 Phoenix Eagle

Phoenix Eagle

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:33 PM

HI thank you man for this WMP its very nice im happy because my advanced tag editor reurn again
it installed well but it seems not to be work well for example when i press play all in folder with mp3 files it just do nothing but it will appear an error i dont know i think in explorer or in wmp error please help me
thank you,,,

#20 asthenia

asthenia

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

Man, Windows Media Player 12 is annoying..
I tried following the instructions, but when I ran the installer it kept complaining about "can't copy this file(various files, about 15 of them)".
So, it didn't work. What could I have done wrong?

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!