- - - - -

The Best Torrent Client?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dualcorex

• 188 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:10 AM

I was wondering which torrent client is the most efficiet(or the best).
I have utorrent but it slows down my internet like crap when i am downloading something. Is bittorrent better. How about azurus
If someone can tell me how to fix the internet problem that would be great

#2 Merforga

Iron Man = Fe Male?

• 1,090 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:15 AM

According to tests performed on torrent clients, utorrent and Azurus (idk how it's spelt) are the best. But Azurus is better for machines with over 512MB of RAM since it is a resource hog. I use both, and they are great.

#3 WinMatrics

LinMatrix Founder

• 893 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:38 AM

Merforga is right. Only difference is that utorrent uses around 5 MB of ram while Azeures uses about 70.

#4 dualcorex

• 188 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:58 AM

What about my internet problem. Is it normal for the internet to go really slow when downloading something??

#5 kman

Vista to the rescue!!!

• 470 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:24 AM

Yeah, this is normal because you are probably uploading at the same time, which uses your bandwith, slowing your internet normally to a crawl.

#6 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:52 AM

Is it normal for the internet to go really slow when downloading something??

You can set your Global Maximum Download and Upload Rate.

#7 _deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:22 AM

The thing about uTorrent and other Torrent/p2p programs is that people usually do not set the upload/download speed properly - they usually leave it as unlimited. What happens in such cases is that the program uses up all the available bandwidth- and even worse, it'll actually slow down your downloads because a lot of bandwidth will go waste in making more connections when your line may not be supporting that many!

The general idea is to set your upload rate to not more than 80% of your real upload bandwidth, and your download rate to around 90% of your real download bandwidth. When you do this, the program will know exactly what are the limits and will work in those limits. This will also leave enough room for the overhead- searching for more peers, establishing connection between peers, transferring meta-data, etc. This, in-turn, will speed up your downloads and also leave room for your other activities, like surfing.

You should refer this excellent article by John T.P. on How to increase download speeds of uTorrent

Finally, you could also use a Traffic Shaping program like cFosSpeed. It's an amazing program that improves VoIP quality, ping times in online games, and best of all- makes sure that your surfing doesn't slow down when you're using a p2p program! It does all this by intelligent traffic management- do read the page on Traffic Shaping to see how cFos works.

Edited by _deXter_, 04 May 2007 - 07:29 AM.

#8 Hemmer

The fire's on but nobodys home...

• 336 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

use uTorrent with properly managed up and down speeds and you won't even realise its running (from both a RAM and a bandwidth p.o.v.)

#9 Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

I use uTorrent.

And wow this is a very useful thread thanks Dexter!

#10 Hipgnosis

Active WinMatrixian

• 890 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:55 PM

uTorrent pretty much screws my internet to the point of no connection. Somehow Azureus works PERFECTLY. Don't know why..

So I guess I'll be sticking to Azureus forever

BTW, those are good tips Dexter

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!