[guide] How to Crack Windows Login Passwords

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ultimate John

Ultimate John

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,808 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:15 PM

Whether you need to recover the lost password to a Windows account, you're looking to ensure that your passwords are secure, or you're a super l33t h4x0r, the Ophcrack Live CD is a pretty useful tool.

Ophcrack is a Windows password cracker based on rainbow tables. It comes with Graphical User Interface and runs on Windows, Mac OS X (Intel CPU) as well as on Linux.

After you download and burn the Live CD, the gallery below will walk you through every simple step in the process.

Posted Image
Restart your computer and reboot from the Ophcrack Live CD. You should see a loading screen like the one above.
I've set up three accounts to test with Ophcrack. One account uses a very simple password, "easypass". The other uses a password created by the Strong Password Generator, and the third is a password over 14 characters long.

-

Posted Image
Once Ophcrack finishes booting up (it may seem like it's stuck at first - it's not, so be patient), you'll see a list of all of the accounts on your PC. Click on Launch to get crackin'. The accounts we're concerned with are the ones labeled adam (the simple password), adam-medium (the strong password), and adam-15chars (the over 14 character password). As you can see, the 15-character password doesn't even show up in Ophcrack - meaning that if you want to secure yourself from this specific tool, you'll be totally safe if your password is over 14 characters.

-

Posted Image
As Ophcrack starts working, you'll see several strange letter combinations appearing in the LMpasswd1 and LMpasswd2 fields as Ophcrack works its magic.

-

Posted Image
After about 5 minutes or so, Ophcrack had cracked adam's simple password, "easypass". I've used Ophcrack on a stronger 13-character alphanumeric password and found it to crack it almost as quickly. So far the strong, generated password remains uncracked.

-

Posted Image
After about 30 minutes, Ophcrack had finished its cracking attempts. It had no success cracking the strong password generated for adam-medium by the Strong Password Generator.
Source: LifeHacker

Edited by Ultimate John, 15 April 2007 - 05:17 PM.

#2 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:20 PM

#3 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the review. I didn't know there was a Rainbow-tables based liveCD auditing program out there!

--

• You can audit passwords of higher characters and strength by downloading larger tables and burning them onto a DVD.

• If the PC that you're running Ophcrack on isn't fast enough, you can also copy the SAM file (windows\system32\config\SAM) to a faster (or safer ;)) PC and run crack it there.

--

As an alternative to recovering the passwords, you can simply blank them out or edit them without wasting any time.

For that purpose, I recommend the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, which is also another LiveCD based on Linux and only 3 MB in size!

Edited by _deXter_, 16 April 2007 - 03:05 PM.

#4 windowsxp

windowsxp

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:09 PM

lol.

#5 timbertide

timbertide

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,317 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the guide. :D

#6 WhistAler

WhistAler

WhistA

• 1,866 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

It may be helpful in the hard times to come.

#7 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

Very helpful :D.

#8 Panarchy

Panarchy

WinMatrixian

• 202 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:05 AM

Thanks, I have had this CD for a couple of months now... (since march)

Can someone please help me?

ID | Username/LMHash | LMPasswd1
| |
500 | Administrator | SECUREP

There were others, but this is the one I need! Please help! (NTPasswd Not found, and LMpasswd2 .......)

Please help ASAP,

Panarchy

#9 Guest_elektr10_*

Guest_elektr10_*

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

Firstly thanks for the useful guide.

I have 2 questions:
1)I sis possible to use that for other windows versions or only xp?
2)The password we need is NTpasswd, right?If so what are LMpasswd1 and LMpasswd2 used for?

#10 ShamusHand

ShamusHand

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,574 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:14 AM

This is a must have CD for a geek gone bad! :devil:

Hax0rs FTW! :P

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!