#1 Another_User

Another_User

uhmmm...

• 326 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

I have a question for you guys...

Since everyone (atleast a lot) have jumped to Vista
and all these custo. software and themes get released
i'm wondering if i should make the jump....

I'm going to give my desktop pc and notebook a clean Windows installation.
What should i do?? Windows XP or Windows Vista??

My Desktop PC;
------------------------------------------------------
Asus P4P800-X Mobo w/ a P4 3.0ghz CPU.
Single 1GB Mem module
Asus TI Geforce 4 128MB Video card
Onboard audio or Sounblaster Live! 1024
(if more details needed please ask)

My Notebook;
------------------------------------------------------
Dell Latitude 120L
Intel Celeron M(obile) 1.5Ghz. CPU
Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
512MB Mem. (with atleast 8 mb cut off for Vcard)

I know i won't be able to run Aero on both.
For the pc i could buy a new vcard...
But i'm not going to, i don't 'need' Aero that bad (atleast not right now)...

The question i ask myself; Is Vista so much better than XP,
XP is great (IMO) since SP2 and i can imagine that Vista is still pretty buggy
(like XP was at initial release)...
On the Notebook i think Vista won't run as fine / fast as XP does....

What do you guys think i should do??

#2 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

Notebook:

Definately DO NOT install Vista! Even if you upgrade your RAM, you still have only an onboard Gfx card, and that too a 915. Don't even think about installing Vista, and if you do, don't even think about using it as your main OS.

Desktop:

You can go ahead and install Vista, but I wouldn't recommend using it as your main OS till you get more RAM. And if you're getting more RAM, try getting 1 more 1 GB ram module and running it under dual channel mode.

My advise: Install XP (don't install to C:) and then install Vista. You could use vista to see if it suits you, and if it doesn't you can always keep it around and use XP. When you feel that vista has reached a stage where you don't require XP anymore, you can simply delete the XP partition :)

Is Vista so much better than XP,
XP is great (IMO) since SP2 and i can imagine that Vista is still pretty buggy
(like XP was at initial release)...

Vista IS a lot better than XP, to sum up the improvements would be beyond the scope of this website itself. However, you're partially correct in saying that Vista is buggy. Its not exactly that Vista itself is buggy, its that there still isn't enough support for Vista in terms of drivers and software. (Drivers are still buggy, and not all software have been upgraded for vista). Going purely by the OS though (not talking about software/drivers) Vista has seen much less number of bugs than compared to when XP was released.

Edited by _deXter_, 06 April 2007 - 05:47 PM.

#3 kaironxp

kaironxp

black cat sexy girl

• 468 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:07 PM

Windows XP is your SO.

Windows Vista uses a lot off ram, only in AERO for example each window with aero uses five mg of memory ram. Did you understand? but if you love new products try to install Vista and get your own conclusion.

bye

Edited by kaironxp, 06 April 2007 - 09:08 PM.

#4 Another_User

Another_User

uhmmm...

• 326 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

Thank u both for replying...

but I wouldn't recommend using it as your main OS till you get more RAM. And if you're getting more RAM, try getting 1 more 1 GB ram module and running it under dual channel mode.

I think i will build a new pc end '07 begin '08 that will be able to run Vista (w/ Aero).
But what does 'dual channel mode' do??

Vista has seen much less number of bugs than compared to when XP was released.

Well that sounds promising, w/ XP i made the jump from 98
(se - i had run ME and 2k but 98 felt the best for me at that time)
Vista is another NT based OS right? Driver / software makers
had time enough to adjust to the NT kernel by now... ;)

Did you understand? but if you love new products try to install Vista and get your own conclusion.

I do understand :yes: and love new products (and all new technologies and stuff)...
I might try Vista on the PC, like _deXter_ mentioned as a secondary / test os & keep XP as the main OS...

Thanks again _deXter_ & kaironxp for replying...

#5 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:27 AM

but I wouldn't recommend using it as your main OS till you get more RAM. And if you're getting more RAM, try getting 1 more 1 GB ram module and running it under dual channel mode.

I think i will build a new pc end '07 begin '08 that will be able to run Vista (w/ Aero).
But what does 'dual channel mode' do??

Dual Channel mode effectively doubles the data transfer rate between your RAM and CPU, thus making it much more faster and efficient. Your motherboard supports dual-channel mode, so when you get another 1GB stick, do enabling it.

#6 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:34 AM

if you're gonna buy a new os, get vista. don't waste your money on xp. I'm running Vista full-time as a main and it's running just like XP. Alot of updates have been pushed out and Vista is alot more stable and more programs have become compatible with Vista. XP is officially dead and is a waste to install. Think about it! You can install XP, but Microsoft is no longer supporting it. All support is going towards Vista. In two months, XP will be officially dead and you will have to move to Vista and go through the trouble of removing XP.

Get Vista! Also, you don't have to run Aero if you don't want to. You can run Vista on Home basic theme if you want and get the same speeds as XP. With a better look and better features.

Get Vista :)

Also, 512 RAM is fine. That's what I have and my computer is running excellent. I'm seeing no slow downs at all.

Bottom Line____
Vista is more secure, powerful, easy to use, comes with more, better ways to search things and is better looking than XP. From February to now, I've seen major improvements through the updates and all the programs I used on XP are now on Vista and made better :)

Also, it feels good not to have Spybot, Spyware blaster, Zone Alarm, Xoftspy and all those other protectors running full-time like I did in XP. Now, I can use my computer with more memory and less lagging do to XP vulnerabilities.

Edited by yanike, 07 April 2007 - 07:56 AM.

#7 Another_User

Another_User

uhmmm...

• 326 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

Dual Channel mode effectively doubles the data transfer rate between your RAM and CPU

Alright thanks _deXter_...

Also, 512 RAM is fine. That's what I have and my computer is running excellent. I'm seeing no slow downs at all.

yanike, so your saying i should try it on the notebook aswell?? (w/ a celeron m cpu?) :blink:

#8 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

if you're gonna buy a new os, get vista. don't waste your money on xp.

He already has XP.

you can install XP, but Microsoft is no longer supporting it.

Microsoft is providing support for XP till 2014.

In two months, XP will be officially dead and you will have to move to Vista

Trust me, its going to take much longer than that. There are hardly any Vista-only apps, why, most apps today still work on windows 98 too! Its highly unlikely that vista-only apps will take over anytime soon.

go through the trouble of removing XP.

All he has to do is delete/format the XP partition.

yanike, so your saying i should try it on the notebook aswell?? (w/ a celeron m cpu?)

Yes, that's what he's saying but I'm saying don't! The cons far outweigh the pros.

Let me quote a few people here:

Microsoft's on-the-box minimum RAM requirement "really isn't realistic," according to David Short, an IBM consultant who works in its company's Global Services Divison. He says users should consider 4GB of RAM if they really want optimum Vista performance. With 512MB of RAM, Vista will deliver performance that's "sub-XP," he warned.

First, you shouldn't expect a PC with 512 MB of RAM to run Windows Vista effectively, unless of course your normal workload involves running a single application at a time. Second, you're going to get the best performance, believe it or not, with Windows Aero, and not with the lower-end Windows Vista Standard and Windows Vista Basic user interfaces, assuming you've got a compatible graphics processor (and again, you almost certainly do). That's because Windows Aero offloads a lot of the onscreen rendering and processing requirements from the CPU to the GPU, freeing your system's microprocessor for other tasks. Aero is also inherently more reliable than the software renderers.

Since you don't have a good graphics processor you'll have to disable Aero, meaning which you'll face more load on your CPU. And a celeron is a VERY poor CPU. (Unlike a Centrino). Finally, your laptop drive is only 5400 RPM so it'll be noticably slower than your desktop's drive.

Celeron + intel integrated + 512 MB ram + 5400 RPM HDD = ...well you do the math :P

Edited by _deXter_, 07 April 2007 - 09:54 AM.

#9 Another_User

Another_User

uhmmm...

• 326 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:00 AM

Celeron + intel integrated + 512 MB ram + 5400 RPM HDD = ...well you do the math

Lol! yeah i know Celeron (M) is poor, i got this notebook for free
with my mobile phone subscription.
It really runs very quick w/ xp aslong as i don't multitask to much...

I'm currently running WinFLP just for testing.. it was ok (for testing purposes) but i'm going to re-install the XP that came with it now..

Thanks everyone for giving there opinions, it's great to see that you peops want to take the time to write them down... i really love this site! :yes:

#10 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

here's something i'd like to add on: Don't install vista if you can't run areo. Even 512MB of RAM on vista is'nt that bad. But if you've got no areo, it would be a DISASTER!

#11 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:15 PM

Now that I really sat and thought about it.

Install both. Use Xp for like business and Vista to play around with until they make more programs available. Unless all the programs you use run on Vista. Then go ahead and make that jump. It's always better to have 2 OSes installed. You always need a backup system just incase of emergencies. XP will be a great one to have.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!