USB Hi-Speed Controller for 2.0

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crestind

crestind

New WinMatrixian

• 27 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:15 AM

My old PC doesn't seem to work with my USB 2.0, and says that I need a hi-speed USB controller. Is this some sort of software or do I have to change hardware? I Googled for any software, but couldn't find anything. Help is appreciated. Thanks.

#2 geniusguy

geniusguy

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:07 AM

My old PC doesn't seem to work with my USB 2.0, and says that I need a hi-speed USB controller. Is this some sort of software or do I have to change hardware? I Googled for any software, but couldn't find anything. Help is appreciated. Thanks.

hi try to find latest drivers for your current USB hardware and if that doesnt solve your problems. upgrade your hardware. nowadays you can easily find USB hub ports and its really cheap

hope this helps you

#3 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

If you have Windows XP installed in your old PC then make sure than you have SP2 installed.

#4 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

How 'old' is your PC? USB 2.0 PCs came out around 2003. If your PC was manufactured after this date, chances are that it has USB 2.0

You can tell whether a USB port is version 2.0 by opening the Device Manager and checking for the word "Enhanced" in its description; only USB 2.0 drivers will contain the word "Enhanced."

Usually you won't need any special drivers for 2.0 to work, provided that you have atleast Windows XP SP2.

Of course, thats assuming that everything is working properly. The problem with USB is the whole practical implementation. There still are a number of issues with USB and especially windows. Sometimes drivers just get corrputed, or the cable or port develops problems, the controller might get spoiled etc. What happens in such cases is that either the device fails to get recognised or shows up as "Unknown Device", or windows thinks that its a different device altogether.

In most cases, simply uninstalling all the USB controllers/devices and rebooting the PC fixes the problem.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!