[FAQ] Windows Vienna/Seven/7 & Microsoft Office 14

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LiLLTOtech

LiLLTOtech

Active WinMatrixian

• 973 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

With Windows Vista finally behind us, it's time to turn our attention to the next Windows client release, which is alternatively codenamed "Vienna", "Windows Seven", or "Windows 7". :windows:

Q: Is Microsoft working on an operating system after Windows Vista?

A: Yes. The next client version of Windows was originally codenamed "Blackcomb," though the company renamed it to "Windows Vienna" in early 2006 and to "Windows Seven" or "Windows 7" more recently. I prefer Vienna, so I'll continue to refer to it by that name here.

Q: Why Windows 7?

Since Windows Vista is really Windows 6.0, Vienna will presumably be version 7.0.

Q: I heard that Windows Vista will be the last major OS release from Microsoft. Is that true?

A: No. Windows-based PCs will continue to form the center of our digital lifestyles, and as Microsoft executives have noted in recent days, there are still plenty of areas in which Microsoft can improve Windows. Some obvious examples include voice recognition and storage.

Q: So is Vienna going to be a major Windows version?

A: No. Windows Vista was a major release, and Vienna will be a relatively minor, or interim, update. Microsoft is currently on a development path where every other Windows version is a major release.

Q: When will Vienna ship?

A: Microsoft currently plans to ship Vienna in 2009, about two to two and a half years after Vista. The next major release of Windows is expected two years after Vienna, in 2011. (Windows Server updates are on a similar cycle.)

Q: What features will be included in Windows Vienna?

A: Microsoft hasn't publicly committed to any features for Vienna and the company is currently still deciding what this next Windows release will look like. We do know a few things about Vienna, however: It will include a new version of Windows Explorer that is being built by the same team that designed the Ribbon user interface in Office 2007. It will likely include some form of the "Hypervisor" (Windows Virtualization) technologies that will ship shortly after Windows Server "Longhorn". It will also likely include the WinFS (Windows Future Storage) technologies, though they won't be packaged or branded as WinFS.

Q: Will Windows Vienna be available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions like Vista?

A: No, Vienna will almost certainly ship only in 64-bit versions. This is in keeping with Microsoft's x64 migration schedule.

Q: Will Microsoft release any Windows updates between now and Vienna?

A: Yes. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1, codenamed "Fiji") will ship simultaneously with Windows Server "Longhorn" and will include a new kernel version that makes that release up to date with the kernel version in Longhorn. As such, we might consider Fiji a major release for a service pack: No previous service pack has ever included a major kernel update.

Read Microsoft Office 14 FAQ HERE

Update: Fiji is actually the next version of Windows Media Center Read here

Edited by LiLLTOtech, 21 March 2007 - 06:16 PM.

#2 M.Sudoku

M.Sudoku

Super Duper WinMatrixian

• 2,191 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:17 AM

Great post! I'm looking forward for more.

#3 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

intel needs so start dishing out 64-bit processors soon... :D

#4 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for all the information.

#5 lareeth

lareeth

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,169 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:26 PM

what happened to office 13?

#6 Abhi

Abhi

Geek...

• 1,113 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

Due to "superstitious" reasons, they have dropped 13.

#7 lareeth

lareeth

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,169 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:24 PM

Due to "superstitious" reasons, they have dropped 13.

yup, i looked it up after i posted it, only microsoft would be that paranoid

#8 LiLLTOtech

LiLLTOtech

Active WinMatrixian

• 973 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

Update

Easier. Vienna will make it easier for users to find and use information. Local, network and Internet search functionality will converge. Intuitive user experiences will be further advanced. Automated application provisioning and cross-application data transparency will be integrated.

More secure. Vienna will include improved security and legislative compliance functionality. Data protection and management will be extended to peripheral devices. Vienna will advance role-based computing scenarios and user-account management, and bridge the inherent conflicts between data protection and robust collaboration. It will also enable enterprise-wide data protection and permissions.

Better connected. Vienna will further enable the mobile workforce. It will deliver anywhere, anytime, any device access to data and applications. It will enable a robust ad-hoc collaboration experience. Wireless connectivity, management and security functionality will be expanded. The performance and functionality of current and emerging mobile hardware will be optimized. The multiple device sync, management and data protection capabilities in Windows will be extended. Finally, Vienna will enable flexible computing infrastructures including rich, thin and network-centric models.

Lower cost. Vienna will help businesses optimize their desktop infrastructure. It will enable seamless OS, application and data migration, and simplified PC provisioning and upgrading. It will further efforts towards non-disruptive application updating and patching. Vienna will include improved hardware- and software-based virtualization experiences. And it will expand the PC self-help and IT Pro problem resolution diagnostics in Windows.

#9 cmkumar2k

cmkumar2k

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:43 AM

Easier... More secured... Better connected... these already exists in Vista itself isn't!!!! :)

#10 vistafreak

vistafreak

Resident Jedi Master

• 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

Easier: It's already there! Vista is pretty easy to use... the switching process was pretty quick... for me at least.

More secure: No fully-functional operating system can ever be 100% secure. I suppose they can improve further... but how it'll be more secure than Vista Service Pack 1 I have no idea...

Better connected: Vista's connected enough, but I suppose it could be better. Connecting to a wireless network isn't THAT much better than in XP... I'm looking for something like Toshiba's ConfigFree or Dell's wireless network utility...

Lower cost: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (non-OEM) better be cheap... or else...

Edited by vistafreak, 26 March 2007 - 10:16 AM.

#11 ThunderROM

ThunderROM

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,637 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:09 PM

Vienna will almost certainly ship only in 64-bit versions

It isn't true. Windows Vienna will be available in both 32-bit and 64-bit. Only MS-DOS apps will not be supported.

#12 ell

ell

New WinMatrixian

• 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:01 AM

intel needs so start dishing out 64-bit processors soon... :D

comedy guy,
they aredy have some pd, p4 and I beleave that all core and core 2 and amd all the 64 chips have 64 bit prosesers e.g. amd turion64x2! :P :) :D :yes:

#13 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:34 AM

Looking forward to see with what they come up with next.

#14 WinMatrics

WinMatrics

LinMatrix Founder

• 893 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:23 AM

In case anyone was wondering..

The number 13 is scientifically proven "unlucky". The various hundreds of tests performed could have recorded a coincidence, but it's something special. The number 13 is one of those strange phenomenons of life. And as Bill probably knows what I know, he could've done something about it.

Feel free to research and prove me wrong, but trust me, you will agree in the end.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!