Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Linux Thread

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:10 PM

sendo72 This one is for you.
Posted Image

For those of us who use Linux, I'm making this thread to add valuable information on it for Linux Users.

Posted Image
You can find the update of this thread here

----------------------
Posted Image

For those of us who use Linux, I'm making this thread to add valuable information on it for Linux Users.

----------------------------------------
Running other OSes inside Ubuntu

(((Boot Disks)))
Needed if you don't have the boot disk files to install the Oses!!!

Ultimate Boot Disks - A lot of free boot disks.

Bootdisk.com - Nice collection of boot disks.
......Another link

(((Quem-img file)))
qemu-img.exe to create file greater than 4GB for win32

(((HOWTOs)))
HOWTO: Install Windows XP/2000 in VMWare Player - First one I've found :)

Install Windows XP or 2000 solely with the VMWare Player - Second one I've found :)

Installing other OSes in Ubuntu :) - Run Microsoft Windows, Mac and others in Ubuntu :)

Five ways to use Windows apps in Linux - For most Windows applications, there will be a high-quality open source alternative that can meet their needs. The biggest hurdle for non-Linux people is simply knowing that these alternative exist and how to find them.

------------------------------------------
Installing Ubuntu as a Virtual Machine
------------------------------------------

Installing Ubuntu as a Virtual Machine - For those of you new to the idea of virtualization, virtualization is the nesting of "sub-operating systems" within a host operating system. More specifically, virtual operating systems, better known as virtual machines, allow the end user to leverage the power of the host PC to explore other operating systems. With virtualization, a user can run Linux inside of Windows, Windows inside of Linux, Linux inside of Linux, or Windows inside of Windows. A nested operating system has access to all of the components of the host operating system including: USB ports, wireless cards, parallel ports, firewire, etc.

---------------------
Removing Ubuntu
---------------------
USING XP

Source - b0uncer at LinuxQuestions.org

Can't you just reformat?
To reformat (both) drives is not an answer; of course to remove Ubuntu (partitions) the way to go is to format the drive which has Ubuntu, but that would leave the user with an unusable bootloader (GRUB would not work after removing /boot), preventing the loading of XP.

The correct way:

1) restore XP bootloader. Either use Windows XP setup disc to boot into the XP startup menu, or if you have Recovery Console installed on your harddrive (in some cases it is), just press F8 right after you select to boot XP from Grub. Either way you should end up with having the Windows boot list on screen. Choose the option to enter the "recovery mode" or whatever it is; it's not "safe boot" but the other option, which enables you to jump into the XP Recovery Console. If you're unsure on how to get there, refer to XP documentation in the web of in manuals. If RC is installed on harddrive, you can enter it from the boot menu directly; if it's not, you'll need to get to the menu by booting from XP setup disc. Also if you have multiple harddrives/partitions, when asked during entering RC, choose the one which has your WinXP installed -- it is important to select the correct harddisk. Just in case, it's a good idea to have a bootdisk for XP or XP setup cd available before continuing.

2) Once in Recovery Console, type the command fixmbr to tell Windows to 'reset' the MBR (Main Boot Record; the first sector of your harddisk). In some cases you might have to run fixboot too (there's documentation at microsoft.com about this); it does make a difference in which order you run these if you need to run both, but I'd start with 'fixmbr' only. NOTE: if this fails, you need to have either XP setup disc or a regular boot disk to be able to boot your machine after this, and re-enter the Recovery Console. I'm not sure what causes it to fail sometimes (and force you to use 'fixboot' too, at least); I've succeeded in doing this with only running 'fixmbr' multiple times on a pc, and then suddenly failing with the same pc. Nevertheless it's a good idea to have a bootdisk before continuing. No data is lost if this won't work the first time, so don't worry; it's just that your bootloader is erased, and you are unable to boot without a boot diskette -- to get into XP recovery console you need an XP bootdisk, to get in Linux you need a Linux bootdisk (or a live-cd).

3) Once you've run fixmbr and RC tells you it has successfully rewrote MBR, type exit to get out and reboot your machine. If everything went well, your XP should boot the usual way, without GRUB showing up. After this simply format your 2nd harddrive; this can be done, for example, using XP's system tools (My Computer -> Manage) or PartitionMagick or something else. Simply choose to remove all partitions from the other harddisk (where Ubuntu is) and format the whole disk; create new partitions as you like, if you need to.

4) This is only if you failed to run 'fixmbr', the command didn't do what it was supposed to and you ended up with either unusable GRUB, no bootloader at all or generally a message after boot saying 'unable to load OS'. First: don't panic. Your data is safe, this problem is just the fact that you don't have a bootloader that could load your operating system(s). There are two ways to fix it: 1) having XP bootdisk of some kind, re-try running fixboot and fixmbr, reboot and see if it helps. Also refer to Microsoft's website documentation about fixing 'broken MBR' or whatever it's called. I'll explain another method later below. 2) To get things running for a moment, you could simply run a Linux live-cd or an installer and install GRUB again; this lets you boot your XP, along with Linux, and you can access your Windows until you've figured another way out.

Another method to get MBR back to Windows: the MBR is the first sector of your harddisk (512 bytes). It's just data as anything else, so it can be copied from a harddisk and copied to a harddisk. The 512 bytes consists of 446 bytes (which is Windows bootloader, in this case) and the rest from 446 to 512 which is your partition information. You could, if you had a backup of your MBR, copy it back to the disk and have it fixed that way (actually I think this is what 'fixmbr' should do). Of course you now thing you don't have the backup but..one way is to try and copy it off your buddy's XP-only-machine, and copy it on your own harddisk. In this case you shouldn't copy the whole 512 bytes as your buddy's partition information might not match yours. Note that I've never tried this on my own machine, but it's easily tried, and if it doesn't work..well, you can continue with the Recovery Console: the MBR isn't any more or less fixed than it was before you copied data onto it, as long as you only deal with MBR. So, you could use a Linux live-cd to copy the 446 bytes from your buddy's harddisk's beginning using dd, then move the file to an usb disc, use the live-cd at your own pc and then with dd put the bytes to your own machine's MBR. Like this (here I assume the primary partition is the one with XP; use Linux live-cd to get access to dd without installing Linux; MBR_backup is the file which we need to move to your machine, with USB stick for example):
Code:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/MBR_backup bs=446 count=1

now move MBR_backup to an USB stick for example, or a cd (use rw to not consume full cd for a file less than half a kilobyte). Then boot a live Linux on your machine, and (again, if first harddisk hda is the one with your Windows aboard; if it's something else, change accordingly; also change the if= path to point to the full path of the file) copy the file back:
Code:

dd if=/MBR_backup of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1

After this you might need to make sure XP's partition information is all right, so you could boot into the XP Recovery Console and run 'fixboot' which should deal with it. The partition information should also have a duplicate on the harddisk, just in case, so if either one of the two is inaccurate, XP should know to use the working one (but I'm not sure if it does). So, after this you try rebooting your machine and see if it works; if not, refer to Microsoft documentation (again).

Though I've written a lot in this post and it might sound complicated, I must say that I've put XP's bootloader back many times and have only failed once (and got it working after that); usually it's just as easy as getting into Recovery Console, running 'fixmbr' and rebooting. So don't worry.

USING VISTA

On my new PC I wanted (still want) to have to a go with Linux. I chose to experiment with Ubuntu. I downloaded the desktop CD, burned it, freed up some disk space (inside Vista) and loaded up Ubuntu from the CD. After some experimenting I figured out how to install Ubuntu in the empty disk space and it all worked fine (GRUB took over my booting (recognized Vista automatically!) and Ubuntu loaded up fine).

Then I tried to install my GPU drivers and everything went wrong.. For some reason Ubuntu wouldn't boot anymore (failed to load X-Server or something). I was completely lost and wanted to remove Ubuntu.

This is where things start to get really messy!

If you simply remove the Ubuntu partition, GRUB (Linux boot loader) will still be on your PC (in control). It will trip out, as the Ubuntu partition will be removed.. Bad thing!

So you need to restore your Master Boot Record (MBR) for Vista (so that Vista will handle the booting, not GRUB).

Google only pointed me to sites that explained how to REMOVE VISTA, which isn't what I wanted. Many sites talked about the 'fixmbr' command, but this is really only available in Windows XP.

So how do you restore your MBR for Windows Vista?

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
7. Type Bootrec.exe /FixMbr, and then press ENTER.

That's it. Now when you reboot your PC, Vista will load automatically... You can now safely boot using your Ubuntu desktop CD, to use the built in Gnome Partition Manager to remove your Ubuntu partition!

Posted by Quaint at 20:22
http://quainttech.bl...vista-dual.html

ADDING FONTS TO UBUNTU 8.04

Posted Image

Wednesday, July 11, 2007
How To Install a TTF Font In Ubuntu & Microsoft Fonts

Step 1: Download a ttf font you like. Here is a cool website that has a ton for free. Save your fonts onto your desktop.

If you font is zipped or uses any other compression make sure you uncompress it. Your font should end in the extension .ttf

Now make a directory for your custom ttf fonts
in a terminal type:
sudo mkdir /usr/share/fonts/truetype/custom

Step 2: Put the ttf font into the custom folder
In a terminal type:
sudo nautilus

This will bring up a nautilus window
go to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/custom

copy in your fonts

Step 3: Rebuild your font cache
in a terminal type:
sudo fc-cache -f -v

To get the free Microsoft fonts, and make opening MS Office documents easier in OpenOffice
in a terminal type: sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts

INSTALLING ANYTHING ON UBUNTU

Posted Image

Don't feel like unzipping, configuring, blah, blah... on Ubuntu?

Go here to get .deb files of popular programs and install with ease :D

Yes! They even work with Ubuntu 8.04

Get FLOCK 1.1!!! Because Firefox 3 beta for Ubuntu 8.04 doesn't show things correctly yet.

----------------------------------

Installing Python-Gtkglext1 and Python-Opengl Bindings for 3D gaming

Ralf Nieuwenhuijsen said on 2007-03-14: (permalink)

@Andrew Conkling

1. Install the python-gtkglext1 package above:
http://downloads.sou...mp;big_mirror=0

(Ubuntu 8.04 Users go to System>Administrator>Synaptic Package Manager and search for python-gtkglext1 and install)

2. Install the python-opengl bindings from the repository

sudo aptitude install python-opengl

Works for me.

------------------------------------
How to install .run files :)

cd /to/folder/where/run/file/is

sudo sh thenameofile.run

Source
....Also, sometimes you have to type "sudo " infront of the programs name to run the app.
Example: sudo coldwar_demo
------------------------------------------------------

How to install ANYTHING on Ubuntu - Great quick guide to get you going.

How do I install tar.gz's and RPM's - There are as many ways to install software on linux as there are penguins in antarctica, but in this FAQ I will describe the two most simple ways, RPM's and .tar.gz's/.tar.bz2's.
.... http://www.linuxforu...files-yast.html

This most definitely works :)

gzip -d <filename>

tar xzvf <filename>

cd into the folder

./configure

make

checkinstall -S -y

How to kill a program

http://lavluda.com/

IE7 on Linux - Internet Explorer 7 provides improved navigation through tabbed browsing, web search right from the toolbar, advanced printing, easy discovery, reading and subscription to RSS feeds, better security and much more.

Automatix - Automatix2 is a graphical interface for automating the installation (and uninstallation) of the most commonly requested applications in Debian based Linux operating systems. Currently supported are Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu 6.10, 6.06 and Mepis 6.
.........Every Linux user must install this :)

LinuxForum.org - With a comprehensive Linux Forum, information on various types of Linux software and many Linux Reviews articles, we have all the knowledge you need a click away, or accessible via our knowledgeable members.
....LinuxForums.org - Wireless Network Help

Ubuntux - Our Ubuntu community wants to offer you everything you need for your Ubuntu experience. So please get involved and spread the Ubuntu (and Kubuntu) spirit!

PearPC.net - The Community Site

Gentoo Linux Wiki - The Gentoo-Portage Wiki is designed to provide a place for Gentoo users to post helpful information for the Gentoo community. The Wiki is provided as an alternative to the forums and allows for more of a community control over such documentation.

HOWTO nVidia GL Desktop Effects - Short guide will describe how to use nVidia's drivers to create an OpenGL accelerated desktop environment similar to AIGLX.

Linux Ubuntu - Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. It is developed by a large community and we invite you to participate too!

Beryl Project - Beryl is an OpenGL accelerated desktop that seeks to provide a free, open source desktop experience to the community that reflects the wishes of the users. Above all else, the project seeks to listen to and respond to the requests of the user base.

Rhapsody - Rhapsody Unlimited gives you the best Rhapsody has to offer: unlimited access to a vast music library of over 3 million tracks and growing; enjoy 80 commercial free radio stations, instant playlist sharing and a whole lot more.
....A great music subscription service :)

Linux From Scratch (LFS) - is a project that provides you with step-by-step instructions for building your own custom Linux system, entirely from source code.

IcoFX - IcoFX is an award winning freeware icon editor. It is an all-in-one solution for icon creation, extraction and editing. It is designed to work with Windows XP and Windows Vista icons supporting transparency.
....Also can work on Linux using Wine Windows Emulator :)

VMWare - Begin enjoying the benefits of server virtualization with the free VMware Server. VMware Server installs on any existing server hardware and partitions a physical server into multiple virtual machines by abstracting processor, memory, storage and networking resources, giving you greater hardware utilization and flexibility. Streamline software development and testing and simplify server provisioning as you utilize the ability to "build once, deploy many times."
....Liskiller, thanks for your post to this.

Learning Guides posted by Spinelli on Ubuntu Forum

Here are three guides I would recommend reading.

This one is an introduction to the Linux command line.
http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/

This one is an introduction to shell scripting.
http://www.tldp.org/...ers-Guide/html/

This one is the most in depth Linux guide I have ever come across.
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

Start reading the manual pages. Start with this one.
Code:

man man

Use Slackware for a while.
http://www.slackware.com/

avant-window-navigator - Avant Window Navgator (Awn) is a dock-like bar which sits at the bottom of the screen (in all its composited-goodness) tracking open windows.
....if you need help installing Help 1 and Help 2. Ubuntu 7.10 Users Help 1 , Help 2 (Definitely worked for me), Help 3 (New), Help 4 (New for 7.10 Gutsy Users) and Help 5 (Ubuntu 8.04)

Fedora Project - The Fedora Project is a collection of projects sponsored by Red Hat, and developed as a partnership between the open source community and Red Hat engineers. The goal of Fedora? The rapid progress of free and open source software and content. Public forums. Open processes. Rapid innovation. Meritocracy and transparency. All in pursuit of the best operating system and platform that free software can provide.

--------------------------------------
Themes & Wallpapers (Galleries)
--------------------------------------

How to Get Visual Styles on Linux

Source: by .Enigmatik
sudo aptitude install beryl
sudo apt-get install art-manager
sudo aptitude install emerald
sudo apt-get install beryl-manager
sudo apt-get install beryl-plugins
sudo apt-get install emerald-themes
sudo apt-get install heliodor

restart PC

*NEW EMERALD Ubuntu 8.04*

Go to:
System>Administrator>Synaptic Package Manager

Install:
Search = ccsm and install the packages
Search = emerald and install the packages

Now you will have Emerald Theme manager

Add the Emerald themes in the System > Preference > Emerald Theme Manager by importing the theme.

If theme doesn't load, try this command
Press Alt+F2 keys.
Code: emerald --replace

And now the Emerald theme will be applied

thanks to overdrank @ ubuntu and members of WinMatrix
--------------------------

Lauri Taimila - I'm Lauri Taimila and this is my corner of the Internet. I created this site to be a place where I can publish some articles mainly related to Linux. Another objective I had in my mind, was a place where I can show my work and shortly introduce myself.

GUIStyles.com

SWiK - A great search I did for Ubuntu themes :)

PingunZ Homepage - Great Customizations :)

Yanike Aero v2
Posted Image
Yanike Aero v2.1 (*New* WinMatrixians get it first)
Yanike Vista Aero v1 (old theme)

VistaBuntu - This theme is a mod of VistaBut gtk2 theme and Vistabut metacity theme and colors of Gilouche for ubuntu users:)

GNOME Art - a place for high quality artwork and themes for the GNOME desktop. All themes and artwork on art.gnome.org are tested and moderated (see the Submission Policy) to ensure a high standard of quality and to make certain they work with your GNOME desktop.

Xfce-Look.org - Eye candy for your GNOME desktop.

GNOME-Look - Eye candy for your GNOME desktop.

Ubuntu Satanic Edition - We’re working our fingers to the bone completing the next release of Ubuntu SE, so those of you who have upgraded to the Feisty 7.04 release of Ubuntu have only a few days to wait before you can darken your shiny new operating system…

HowTo: theme your desktop - In this HowTo I just want to collect the different ways you can personalize your desktop. It is divided in different sections; you don't need to follow everything I say, just pick up what you like. There's nothing new amongst the things I say, but I thought it would be handy to have a reference. Another useful reference is this. All I know, I've learned it on this forum, but I'm not able to trace back the authors of the original posts. If you think I've just reported something you explained first, then you're probably right, and I thank you for this. Throughout the guide I assume you are using Gnome.

Freshmeat - freshmeat maintains the Web's largest index of Unix and cross-platform software, themes and related "eye-candy", and Palm OS software. Thousands of applications, which are preferably released under an open source license, are meticulously cataloged in the freshmeat database, and links to new applications are added daily. Each entry provides a description of the software, links to download it and to obtain more information, and a history of the project's releases, so readers can keep up-to-date on the latest developments.

art.ubuntu.com - Welcome to the Ubuntu community artwork page. Here is where you, the artist, can create and share you designs with the entire Ubuntu community, just by simply registering with the site. Once you register, you will be provided with an album in which you can upload to, allowing the community to view and download. Registered users also receive the privilege to comment on the artwork that is posted to the site.

Paullinux - Has some of the best login screens I've seen. Love iPhone one :)

--------------------
Web Development
--------------------

Nvu - Finally! A complete Web Authoring System for Linux desktop users as well as Microsoft Windows and Macintosh users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver. Nvu (which stands for "new view") makes managing a web site a snap. Now anyone can create web pages and manage a website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML.
.......Love It :)

Swishmax - The Ultimate in Flash Authoring. With 230 new effects, a Javascript-like scripting language and support for dynamic content and input forms, SWiSH Max has everything you need to create fully interactive Flash animations. At only $99.95, SWiSH Max is outstanding value!
...Best Flash alternative period!!! Runs perfect under CrossOver Office Professional.

Using Linux for Web Design and Development (Ubuntu) - Best list of web development programs for Linux :)

OpenLaszlo - OpenLaszlo is an open source platform for creating zero-install web applications with the user interface capabilities of desktop client software. OpenLaszlo programs are written in XML and JavaScript and transparently compiled to Flash and, with OpenLaszlo 4, DHTML. The OpenLaszlo APIs provide animation, layout, data binding, server communication, and declarative UI. An OpenLaszlo application can be as short as a single source file, or factored into multiple files that define reusable classes and libraries. OpenLaszlo is "write once, run everywhere." An OpenLaszlo application developed on one machine will run on all leading Web browsers on all leading desktop operating systems.

http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=430715

----------------
Games
----------------

Ubuntu Games List - This page hopes to give a brief listing of some of the 'best' games for Ubuntu/Linux.

UbuntuGames.org

Linux Games Publishing - Linux Game Publishing aims to bring top quality Linux games to market by providing a reseller channel for both ports of games from other platforms and for new games.
.....WOW! These games are AWESOME :)

Breezy Games List

TuxGames

--------------------
Music Production
--------------------

Musix - It's a 100% free multimedia operating system intended for music production, graphic design, audio and video edition, and all kind of tasks. It contains an enormous collection of free (as in freedom) programs that can replace Windows.

Edited by yanike, 24 October 2010 - 04:13 AM.

#2 M.Sudoku

M.Sudoku

Super Duper WinMatrixian

• 2,191 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:25 PM

Check out these cool 3D TouchScreen Desktop and XGL on Linux!

#3 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:32 PM

Awesome Videos! Glad I switched to Linux :)

Edited by yanike, 16 February 2007 - 11:33 PM.

#4 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:44 AM

I wanna try linux! roar my mum won't let me.

#5 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:07 AM

comedy_guy
You can try Ubuntu without installing it on your PC.
Get Free Live CD of Ubuntu 6.06!

#6 Automatum

Automatum

Authentic, Energetic, Reflective & Open

• 590 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:27 AM

I will soon change to Ubuntu, great info :rolleyes: I can't wait to install the next version: Feisty Fawn :woot:

#7 zenon

zenon

Cool Winmatrixian

• 128 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:59 AM

I love Linux because of its versatality (did you know that a program called wine can use most Windows programs?). I've only used a USB version of Linux called Slax (Google it) and I found that it's great and can basically do everything I want without the bads of Windows. Another thing is that Linux is Open Source so bad things in it can be changed and basically the whole system is good! I recommend everyone to try linux (especially Slax if you're not allowed to install it on your PC)!

Have Fun!

#8 sendo72

sendo72

Head of Porky Pig Fanclub

• 446 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:21 AM

what about creating a subforum here on Winmatrix dedicated to Linux?

#9 Thomas - Dosanjh

Thomas - Dosanjh

Hope Runs Deep

• 225 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

Daft question but do u think ubuntu is better that xp, if so can i dload the files off the net and install without writing to a disk, also can i use all the app i use befour, windows media, windows live messenger. i only have 256 mb ram aswell?

#10 Liskiller

Liskiller

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:35 PM

Run Windows programs on your Linux desktop

#11 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:14 PM

what about creating a subforum here on Winmatrix dedicated to Linux?

I was thinking the same thing. I just created a thread and was gonna let the Mods decide on it.
That would take WinMatrix to the next level.

#12 Caleb

Caleb

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,672 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

Well, if there is going to be a Linux subforum, I'd like to see a Mac subforum.

#13 Thomas - Dosanjh

Thomas - Dosanjh

Hope Runs Deep

• 225 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:57 PM

Gonna gelp please i dloaded the file off of the ubuntu site (600 odd meg) and a got infra recorder but the image has not came up when i go to burn image but theres no image can someone help please the disk am gonna put the image on is 4 odd gig

#14 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:57 AM

Gonna gelp please i dloaded the file off of the ubuntu site (600 odd meg) and a got infra recorder but the image has not came up when i go to burn image but theres no image can someone help please the disk am gonna put the image on is 4 odd gig

Use a regular CD 700 mb and open Infra Express> Click on "Copy"> then click on "Burn Image To Disc"> get the image and burn.

#15 WinMatrics

WinMatrics

LinMatrix Founder

• 893 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:38 PM

Glad to see you added LFS to the list. It's what I'm using to build LinMatrix. (no the project is not dead!) And if we had Mac/Linux Subforum, would it still be WinMatrix?

#16 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:28 PM

Glad to see you added LFS to the list. It's what I'm using to build LinMatrix. (no the project is not dead!) And if we had Mac/Linux Subforum, would it still be WinMatrix?

Yes! We can just make Win mean something else. Win(World In Network)Matrix. I like the ring of that.

Plus! It will take WinMatrix to the next level. Bringing in all kinds of users with more information to provide.

Edited by yanike, 18 February 2007 - 08:30 PM.

#17 sendo72

sendo72

Head of Porky Pig Fanclub

• 446 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:00 PM

I think the forum is FOR the users. WinMatrix means its users, not the actual forum in my opinion. The high interest on Linux shows that more and more people are getting bored of Vista and M$. Linux is more popular than ever. I think it should be discussed in WinMatrix. Even though WM's prefix.
Take Aqua-Soft for example. They started as a forum about Aqua and Macs, now they have subforums like Web Developement/Graphic Design, Windows Customization, Community(-developed) applications and even Vista discussions (!). Why WinMatrix shouldn't be at east that flexible?
Isn't the forum term about people talking about what THEY want not what they are supposed to be? What has WinMatrix to lose by opening a Linux subforum?
If a forum is not flexible, and it is only adapted to a certain niche of users, it will quickly lose its popularity among its users and will eventualy die off.
What if M$ would get bankrupt tomorrow? WinMatrix would stop existing? Just think about that.

Edited by sendo72, 18 February 2007 - 09:10 PM.

#18 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:44 PM

I think the forum is FOR the users. WinMatrix means its users, not the actual forum in my opinion.

Well said, I totally agree with all of you.
A new forum named "Alternative Operating Systems has been created.
For the time being only one forum has been made for both Mac OS X and Linux discussion, but as with the passage of time it grows, two seprate forums will be created.

All of yours continuous support is appreciable.

#19 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

I think the forum is FOR the users. WinMatrix means its users, not the actual forum in my opinion.

Well said, I totally agree with all of you.
A new forum named "Alternative Operating Systems has been created.
For the time being only one forum has been made for both Mac OS X and Linux discussion, but as with the passage of time it grows, two seprate forums will be created.

All of yours continuous support is appreciable.

AWESOME :) Thanks Jatin!

#20 Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis

Active WinMatrixian

• 890 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:12 PM

MMMMMM... YUMMY!

I still remember the time I ordered 50 (FREE!) CD's of Ubuntu last year in July. I'll be putting that to use soontimes!

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!