Photo
- - - - -

Honest opinion on Vista

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 yanike

yanike

I am YM. If you don't know me, you will.

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

Straight to the point.

It's a great operating system, it's faster than XP and more organized, I love it.

If you are debating on buying it, don't get it right now. Even though I bought it and haven't regretted it, I still go back to use XP sometimes. It doesn't fully support everything(My 6310 All In One HP Printer which I hate it doesn't support) and still is buggy. I know some of you guys know this, but if you are new at this and was debating on buying it, stick with XP for a bit. Of course, Vista has features that blow XP out of the water but it's still buggy. Wait for SP1 or when you hear Vista users saying my golly, EVERYTHING IS WORKING :)

If you want the Vista feel, get IE7, WMP11, and the programs I have listed here <--- yeah click on here to access link if your are a newby :)

Don't waste your money on buying it now. XP is still in good use.

One last thing, by 2008, you better be using Vista and no longer have XP on the system except for safety reasons.

Edited by yanike, 07 February 2007 - 10:29 AM.

#2 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

Windows vista rocks. If you're using vista-specific software, vista has virtually no crashes. Your screen won't freeze up, and you don't have to hit the restart button on the CPU. :D

Quite alot of my XP programs work fine in vista. I was quite impressed.

Edited by comedy_guy, 07 February 2007 - 12:13 PM.

#3 zenon

zenon

Cool Winmatrixian

• 128 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for your opinions guys! You helped me make up my mind!

#4 Nemesis777

Nemesis777

WinMatrixian

• 94 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:41 PM

Vista is cool :lol: ..but I have a question..maibe one of you can help me!

How can I clean the log that shows the errors in "System Stability Chart" under "Reliability Monitor"?

THANK YOU! :yes:

Edited by Nemesis777, 07 February 2007 - 12:43 PM.

#5 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

How can I clean the log that shows the errors in "System Stability Chart" under "Reliability Monitor"?

I'm hoping there would be a CCleaner for vista :lol:

#6 Sibry

Sibry

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

I'm hoping there would be a CCleaner for vista :lol:

Yeah the latest version of CCleaner works perfectly fine in Vista :)

#7 Nemesis777

Nemesis777

WinMatrixian

• 94 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:58 PM

CCleaner is a good program..but it does not delete that log! Seems that the log is saved somewhere else! Thank you thow!

#8 deathcabforbryce

deathcabforbryce

WindOS Pro

• 60 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:38 PM

well stated. i plan on doing to exact things you just said.

#9 WinMatrics

WinMatrics

LinMatrix Founder

• 893 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

Yep I agree. :)

I'm getting a new computer around Fall 2007, and by then everything will be worked out and new technologies will have advanced.

Vista rocks!

#10 Jessykah

Jessykah

WinMatrixian

• 222 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:25 PM

I'm also wanting to wait until everything is sorted out with Vista. The incompatiblity issues and stuff. I was wondering though, I was looking at the system requirements but they usually post the minimum. What are the HONEST system requirements to still have things running fast and stuff?

#11 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

I'm also wanting to wait until everything is sorted out with Vista. The incompatiblity issues and stuff. I was wondering though, I was looking at the system requirements but they usually post the minimum. What are the HONEST system requirements to still have things running fast and stuff?

Pretty much what they stated.

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor <-- AMD or Intel Dual Core I would say.
1 GB of system memory
40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
WDDM Driver <-- must have
128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
32 bits per pixel

#12 Tech

Tech

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

I'm so tempted to buy a new Laptop w Vista preinstalled but I think I'll wait a little too....until everything is sorted out......thanks.

#13 HingVista

HingVista

Super WinMatrixian

• News Poster
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:42 PM

Vista is good as per today's technology standards.
Not as good as the hype it created but it is the latest version of Windows and whole of the world would be using it within an year. Who wants to lack behind? :D

#14 taipan

taipan

WinAwesomeGuy

• 204 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:29 AM

very good besides like nothing is really out for it yet

#15 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

It would be exiting to see future versions of softwares intergrate with areo. wow, that would be nice.

Edited by comedy_guy, 08 February 2007 - 07:59 PM.

#16 yanike

yanike

• Global Moderator
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:34 AM

Just installed Home Premium today :)

It's better than home basic. Home Basic is still great for anyone, but if you want glass aero, media center(My Favorite Now) and more awesome features and programs, get Home Premium. I still think it's better to wait until later on though. The only reason I upgraded is because I can't get my money back from the mistake upgrade before I got Home Basic. So, instead of complaining about it, I just installed it. I still think Microsoft could of done a better job with the System dragging of Vista. If wincustomize can make WindowBlinds run right with the effect so should Microsoft.

It's better to get Vista Home Premium because you can just select Vista Basic and your machine will run just like it. So, just save up your money and spend $50 more for Premium.

3rd party apps can only do so much. I've notice a big change in Home Premium.

Microsoft owns the 3rd parties with Vista apps :)

Edited by yanike, 09 February 2007 - 04:57 AM.

#17 Bogdan

Bogdan

LA all day!

• 180 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:49 AM

When I built my PC, I chose the wrong motherboard by accident and found out that I could only run my Pentium D Dual Core CPU at only single core mode. It sucked !

Now with my Vista Premium, I run it at dual core and it hasn't given me a single glitch for about 2 weeks now. All my software installed perfectly and I couldn't be happier.
Windows Vista will recognize ANYTHING I plug into it.
I like it a lot.

#18 orcus

orcus

Active WinMatrixian

• 714 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:08 PM

Running Ultimate, Business and Enterprise editions and they all work great. In the Enterprise edition I run most of work applications there are two that does not work at all but my vendor is working on bringing their software up to speed. On the ultimate I am running games and they all seem to work ok. The Business edition I am running my developer software (Visual Studi0 2005 + .NET ) and it work great no complains here... :)

Edited by orcus, 09 February 2007 - 02:08 PM.

#19 Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis

Active WinMatrixian

• 890 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

By this year, I am planning to get a new computer, and with Vista on it.

It's just the DRM that scares me...

#20 sendo72

sendo72

Head of Porky Pig Fanclub

• 446 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

I don't care about it. Honestly. I use Ubuntu Linux now, and it is much more impressive than Vista. It will do anything Vista or xp would if you spend a little time tweaking it. It is faster than xp, much more secure, and requires no reboot everytime I install something. It does not freezes every day like Windows did. Actually I can't remember whan it freezed last time. And the best of all: it is free! No cracking no activating no pain in the a**. Like Apple said (about Mac though): It just works. I installed Beryl couple of days ago, and now I have more eye candy I can handle. It is much more resource-effective than Aero or WindowBlinds and it gives you more.

M$ sucks because it sells an OS for 400$ which also needs hardware upgrade.
Ubuntu rocks because it offers a supportive community and a fast, reliable OS which is incredibly secure compared to Windows for FREE! It even ships CDs.

Switching to Linux was a radical change for me and my PC, but now I can really experience what an OS is meant to be. I don't care about Vista. I am bored of Aero, and M$ can not persuade me in a thousand years to buy a lousy OS for 500$. It just doesn't offer enough.

Edited by sendo72, 12 February 2007 - 04:35 PM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!