Photo
- - - - -

How Much Virtual Memory?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Virtual Memory you have allocate? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

Number which is the closest to your allocated Virtual Memory

1. 0 (1 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

2. 250 (1 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

3. 500 (6 votes [6.00%])

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

4. 750 (12 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

5. 1000 (18 votes [18.00%])

Percentage of vote: 18.00%

6. 1250 (14 votes [14.00%])

Percentage of vote: 14.00%

7. 1500 (20 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

8. 2000 (28 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

Vote Please sign in to vote.

#1 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:33 PM

How much virtual memory you have allocated?
Virtual memory (paging file) is an area on the hard disk that Windows uses as if it were RAM.

I've read somewhere that virtual memory should be 1.5 times of RAM, but some deny this.
Vote for the number which is the closest to your allocated virtual memory.

#2 Automatum

Automatum

Authentic, Energetic, Reflective & Open

• 590 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:43 PM

For me
Minimum: 768MB.
Maximum: 1536MB.
Answer chosen: 1000MB

#3 tominorlando

tominorlando

Active WinMatrixian

• 396 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:54 PM

If you have 1GB of RAM or better you don't really need a paging file, but I let Windows allocate it anyway.

I've read that shutting off your paging file speeds up your PC because RAM is much faster than your hard drive, but when I tried it, I didn't see any noticeable difference.

#4 FalseAgent

FalseAgent

your average joe (tm)

• Elites
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:22 AM

I don't care about memory paging, lol...I turned it off...only my vista has it...

Edited by comedy_guy, 24 December 2006 - 04:22 AM.

#5 Burned Phoenix

Burned Phoenix

WinMatrix Addict

• News Poster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:54 AM

In order to prevent fragmentation of the paging file, specify paging files with the same minimum and maximum sizes.

#6 Shinde

Shinde

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,521 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:01 AM

Click here for Everything you want to know about Virtual Memory in Windows XP.

#7 WhistAler

WhistAler

WhistA

• 1,866 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

Ram: 768 MB
V Memory: 1137 MB

#8 TituFama

TituFama

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,392 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

Minimum: 2000 MB
Maximum: 2000 MB

RAM: 2GB

#9 Siraka_Serion_Semi

Siraka_Serion_Semi

S3

• Global Moderator
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:02 PM

I have 1.5 GB of Ram with 1.5 GB of page file.

#10 Razor VinT

Razor VinT

tech savvy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

If you have 1GB of RAM or better you don't really need a paging file

Can anyone confirm this?

#11 cmkumar2k

cmkumar2k

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:21 AM

1000 is enough

and if U HDD is 40GB or 80GB then 1000 could do.... but for larger disk space it is always better to have max...... those who have 120GB HDD can really give a trial for better understanding :).

#12 tominorlando

tominorlando

Active WinMatrixian

• 396 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:03 AM

This is from an article in PC Today:
Whenever your computer runs short of memory, the processor looks elsewhere for available space it can use in lieu of RAM. Specifically, it looks to the paging file, which is hard drive space allocated to act as virtual memory when actual RAM is unavailable.

The default paging file initial size in Windows XP is 1.5 times the amount of installed RAM (if your PC has 256MB RAM, the paging file is 384MB). Using the paging file at its default size is generally appropriate, but if you have a lot of RAM, the paging file can occupy a good deal of hard drive space (with 512MB RAM, the paging file would be 768MB). In that case, it's OKto reduce the paging file initial size. Click Start and Control Panel and double-click System. Click Advanced, Advanced again, and Change. Change the Initial Size (MB) to one half the amount of installed RAM and click OK.

Basically the amount of virtual memory you should use will depend on how resource intensive the software you are running is.

If you have 1GB of RAM it will handle virtually all basic tasks running Windows XP without slowing down even if you shut off the paging file.

If you're a hard-core gamer, your friends would never let you live it down if you only have 1GB anyway.

:)

Edited by tominorlando, 05 January 2007 - 12:17 AM.

#13 orcus

orcus

Active WinMatrixian

• 714 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:02 AM

What is Virtual Memory?
In a 32-bit computer, the memory addresses are 32 bits long and stored as binary (base 2) numbers. There are approximately 4 billion possible different 32-bit binary numbers (2^32=4,294,967,296). Because of this, there is a 4GB limit for addressable memory in a 32-bit computer.

A program instruction on an Intel 386 or later CPU can address up to 4GB of memory, using its full 32 bits. Each process is assigned an address space of 4GB of virtual memory, regardless of the amount of available physical memory. Each process is isolated from the rest and has its own 4GB address space. This means that the 4GB addressability limit applies on a per-application basis, not across all applications taken together.

This is normally far more than the RAM of the machine. The amount of physical memory on the computer is not related to the amount of memory address space. If a computer has 256MB of physical memory, there is still a 4GB memory address space, and if a computer has 8GB of physical memory, there is still a 4GB memory address space.

Applications are not allowed direct access to physical memory. When an application requests more memory, Windows maps some physical memory (as long as some is available) into the process's address space.

The hardware provides for programs to operate in terms of as much as they wish of this full 4GB space as Virtual Memory, those parts of the program and data which are currently active being loaded into Physical Random Access Memory (RAM). Windows maintains several tables that keep track of all of this, and the application knows only about the virtual memory address.

The processor itself then translates (‘maps’) the virtual addresses from an instruction into the correct physical equivalents, doing this on the fly as the instruction is executed. The processor manages the mapping in terms of pages of 4KB each - a size that has implications for managing virtual memory by the system.

Why do I need page file optimization?
Optimizing your page file when you're running low on RAM is always a good idea. When all physical RAM in a computer is in use, Windows starts using the hard disk as if it were additional RAM. This is why we have a Pagefile (also called the swap file). Because RAM memory is a lot more faster than the hard disk, whenever the computer begins to use the Pagefile to relieve memory pressure, we begin to experience a drastic performance degradation.

One of the most effective things you can do to improve performance is ensure that there is enough RAM available to avoid frequent paging (swapping) of memory contents between disk and RAM.

This means that the actual limit on the memory used by all applications is the amount of RAM installed plus the maximum size of the Pagefile.

How much swap space do you need? That depends the amount of RAM you have and the programs you use. The rule of the thumb is 1.5 times the amount of system memory, unless you have too much load on your system.

Can the Virtual Memory be turned off on a really large machine?
Strictly speaking Virtual Memory is always in operation and cannot be ‘turned off’. What is meant by such wording is ‘set the system to use no page file space at all’.

This would waste a lot of the RAM. The reason is that when programs ask for an allocation of Virtual memory space, they may ask for a great deal more than they ever actually bring into use - the total may easily run to hundreds of megabytes. These addresses have to be assigned to somewhere by the system. If there is a page file available, the system can assign them to it - if there is not, they have to be assigned to RAM, locking it out from any actual use.

#14 Seventh Surfer

Seventh Surfer

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,897 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:50 AM

Disabling page file completely can degrade the system performance.

#15 Shinde

Shinde

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,521 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:51 PM

Very informative post orcus.

#16 ViViDboarder

ViViDboarder

WinMatrixian

• 115 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

I use the general rule that they use in Linux (and other *nix systems). Page file (Or linux swap) is 2x your hardware ram. So I have 1.5gigs of ram on my Macbook Pro and 3gigs of page file. My XP computer did have 1 gig of ram and 2 gigs of page file (Now it's a vista PC and I have to find out how to do this again).

#17 tominorlando

tominorlando

Active WinMatrixian

• 396 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:20 PM

Vista is almost exactly the same as XP for changing your paging file size. Click Start, right click Computer, click Properties, select Advanced system settings, click the Advanced tab, click Performance settings, click the Advanced tab and hit the Change button under Virtual Memory.

#18 Hardbee

Hardbee

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:46 PM

You need to reed this

Myth - "Disabling the Paging File improves performance."

Reality - "You gain no performance improvement by turning off the Paging File. When certain applications start, they allocate a huge amount of memory (hundreds of megabytes typically set aside in virtual memory) even though they might not use it. If no paging file (pagefile.sys) is present, a memory-hogging application can quickly use a large chunk of RAM. Even worse, just a few such programs can bring a machine loaded with memory to a halt. Some applications (e.g., Adobe Photoshop) will display warnings on startup if no paging file is present." - Source

#19 Neutron Nine

Neutron Nine

The One

• 1,871 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:53 PM

Recommended page file with 1GB Ram on my PC:
Min: 768
Max: 1536

#20 orcus

orcus

Active WinMatrixian

• 714 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:11 PM

:D

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!