13 replies to this topic

#1 Turbon Soul

Turbon Soul

My First Post!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:23 PM

Hi, I'm new here.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a program that changes your wallpaper at certain times to reflect the time. (For example, there would be a picture of a sunny field at 12:00-5:30 and at 5:30, the wallpaper changes to a picture of the same field at sunset.) I dunno, maybe my imagination is running away from me, but if anyone finds a program like that, it would be pretty cool if you posted it here please :D .

Thanks,

Turbon

#2 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:42 AM

that would incredibly sick my man :) but i dont know of anything like this hopefully somebody does and i can get it too :)

#3 PenaltyKillah

PenaltyKillah

Allergic to your bull.

• 604 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:59 AM

I remember a Windows XP PowerToy that M$ released that will change wallpapers from hour to hour. I think its in one of those Christmas Fun Packs. Go and find it there!

#4 Island Dog

Island Dog

Active WinMatrixian

• 668 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:05 PM

Natural Desktop.

Link

"Imagine a desktop where the backgrounds were based on the time of day and time of year. Imagine being able to listen to natural sounds such as birds singing, crickets chirping, or rain falling. Imagine having a mini-display on the desktop that showed animated day and night cycles, clouds, lightning, and more!"

#5 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:31 PM

thx a lot for the link

#6 Tech

Tech

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:21 PM

very good idea....I think you can acomplish that also with those freeware wallpaper changers and simply placing images according to the daytime and hour you want....I've seen some that have options to change daily or at specific times.....all you would need is your own images......yaaawwn...but I'm tired and dont' really want to find the links.....lol....

#7 Shinde

Shinde

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,521 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:25 PM

Download any wallpaper changer and google for some nice day and night wallpapers. Set the wallpaper changer such that it may apply morning wall in the moning, sunny field at noon and dark sky at night.

Edit: Ok, what so ever Tech said ^

Edited by Shinde, 14 November 2006 - 06:27 PM.

#8 xEks

xEks

Pronounciation: \`eks\

• 650 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:23 AM

That sounds kinda cool yet too spazzy for my taste. =)
Would be cool if they did that to the school puters.

#9 LiLLTOtech

LiLLTOtech

Active WinMatrixian

• 973 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

Download a weather widget
Posted Image

#10 Robith Nuriel Haq

Robith Nuriel Haq

My First Post!

• 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

no need 3rd-party software. only notepad and task scheduler (accessories>system tools>scheduled tasks)

1. prepare 20 BMP pics(must be BMP; otherwise, the script won't work).
2. from those 20 pics, 4 pics are assigned for morning wallpapers, 4 for midday, 4 for afternoon, 4 for evening, and 4 for night.
3. name (or rename to) the 4 morning pics morning1.bmp, morning2.bmp, morning3.bmp, and morning4.bmp. Name the rest of the pics based on the same nomenclature (eg. midday1.bmp, midday2.bmp,...; afternoon1.bmp, afternoon2.bmp,..., etc.)
4. put those pics in one folder. you can name and put that folder whatever and wherever you like.
5. open your notepad, write down the code below, and save the file as wallpaper.VBS (pay attention to the VBS extension, it is a visual basic script)
(lines started with apostrophe (') are comments, you can refer to them to perform modification):

'--------------code starts here
'creating procedure that changes wallpaper every minute
Sub ChangeWallpaperPerMinute ()
Set obshell = WScript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
CurrentHour = Hour(Now)
'determining the number of images for every time of the day-based theme (set the 'maximum' value according to the number of images for every theme)
maximum=4
minimum=1
'randomizing the images to be changed
Randomize
num = Int((maximum-minimum+1)*Rnd+minimum)
If CurrentHour >= 5 And CurrentHour <= 8 Then
wallpaper = "morning" & num & ".bmp"
ElseIf CurrentHour >= 9 And CurrentHour <= 13 Then
wallpaper = "midday" & num & ".bmp"
ElseIf CurrentHour >= 14 And CurrentHour <= 16 Then
wallpaper = "afternoon" & num & ".bmp"
ElseIf CurrentHour >= 17 And CurrentHour <= 20 Then
wallpaper = "evening" & num & ".bmp"
ElseIf CurrentHour >= 21 And CurrentHour <= 23 Then
wallpaper = "night" & num & ".bmp"
ElseIf CurrentHour >= 0 And CurrentHour <= 4 Then
wallpaper = "night" & num & ".bmp"
Else
WScript.Quit(0)
End If
obshell.RegWrite "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper",wallpaper
obshell.Run "%windir%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE user32.dll, UpdatePerUserSystemParameters",1,False
Set obshell = Nothing
End Sub
'end of procedure creation'
'calling procedure to initiate script's action
ChangeWallpaperPerMinute
'repeating the calling of procedure
do
'60 * 1000 in the next line means sixty seconds. If the wallpapers shift is expected to occur once every ten seconds, change to 10 * 1000
WScript.sleep(60 * 1000)
ChangeWallpaperPerMinute
Loop
'--------------code ends here

6. put that VBS file in the folder where your 20 BMP pics are located
7. open the scheduled tasks (start > accessories > system tools > scheduled tasks)
8. create a new task (right click > new > scheduled task) and name it whatever you like
9. right click the created task and open its properties window
10. Press the 'browse' button near the 'run' textbox and locate your VBS file (be sure to switch the 'files of type' from programs to all files(*.*) so that your VBS file can be detected). then press Open.
11. switch to 'schedule' tab and schedule the task 'at logon.'
12. switch to 'settings' tab and check off all check boxes except the one labelled 'wake the computer to run this task.' (you can also experiment with those check boxes yourself)
13. that's it. your time of the day wallpapers changer has been created. The last thing that you have to do is logging off-logging on your computer or restarting it.

last note: if you want to deactivate this wallpaper changer, open task manager and kill wscript.exe process

#11 Guest_G Knight_*

Guest_G Knight_*

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Will this code work with Windows 7?

#12 Guest_Lu.nemec_*

Guest_Lu.nemec_*

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

I wrote a python script that does this. It is easy to use, just read the info :)

www.nacek.tk/python/

#13 hb860

hb860

Active WinMatrixian

• Developer
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

I can include such feature into my AeroWallpaperChanger.
I even plan to do it some time before, but instead it I have no free time.
I think in next release i'll do it as well as lots of reworks in existing features.

#14 Guest_knight-gkla_*

Guest_knight-gkla_*

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:21 AM

I wrote a python script that does this. It is easy to use, just read the info :)

www.nacek.tk/python/

Thanks nacek, Have posted a modified solution that copes with windows sleep/hibernate on www.nacek.tk/python. Works fine on win7x64 running at startup.
This provides wallpapers for the environment new research shows is benificial if you spend a lot of time on the machine. I've made 2 x lilac, 2 x light blue, 2 x light blue-green, 2 x lilac

This is supposed to wake you up or get ready for sleep.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!