Photo
- - - - -

Best Antivirus poll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
104 replies to this topic

Poll: What Antivirus do you use? (365 member(s) have cast votes)

What Antivirus do you use?

1. Norton (97 votes [23.89%])

Percentage of vote: 23.89%

2. McAfee (40 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

3. PC-Cilin (14 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

4. AVG (72 votes [17.73%])

Percentage of vote: 17.73%

5. Panda (14 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

6. Kaspersky (56 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

7. NOD32 (58 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

8. Other (55 votes [13.55%])

Percentage of vote: 13.55%

Vote

#81 xEks

xEks

Pronounciation: \`eks\

• 650 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:10 AM

Some say Norton and Symantec are one, but I use Symantec Corp. Ed. Works fine, no extra crap I don't use.

#82 ShadowCoder

ShadowCoder

xIntegrated Technologies

• 315 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:13 AM

Nortan is a virus.

#83 WhistAler

WhistAler

WhistA

• 1,866 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:39 PM

Nortan is a virus.

lol agreed

#84 O6T@V

O6T@V

New WinMatrixian

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:36 PM

LONG LIVE NOD!!! :punk: :punk: :punk:

#85 _deXter_

_deXter_

The Lord of the Scripts

• 306 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

This poll is outdated. Certainly there can't be *that* many Norton users..

I suggest the mods/admin delete this thread and create a new one.

The usual trend in all other sites is that these type of usage polls are re-done yearly. So the "Best Antivirus poll" would become "Best Antivirus 2007 poll". Would certainly give a better idea about the usage and will help users make a better choice in choosing a right product.

#86 idawn

idawn

Active WinMatrixian

• 379 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:30 AM

^agreed lol... Norton is a flaw :lol:

#87 RKJ

RKJ

WinMatrixian

• 54 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:01 AM

I am using one care from Microsoft, but its for trial period only, after this I am going to shift back to Avast, its fast lite, and updates very often, and also detects any threat in real-time......

I am using one care from Microsoft, but its for trial period only, after this I am going to shift back to Avast, its fast lite, and updates very often, and also detects any threat in real-time......

#88 fediaFedia

fediaFedia

Super WinMatrixian

• Elites
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:03 PM

Why make a pool, when it is obvious that Kaspersky 6/7 is the best! (Official sources from Computerbild, PC praxis etc.) Strange that Norton is on top - it has taken 5 th place only in cbl! :(

#89 devnet

devnet

evolving humanity

• 195 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:43 PM

my choice kaspersky
i love it

#90 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

Reviving this poll view the latest security scenario and introduction of new multi/all in one softwares, internet security softwares.
1. Which is the best way to keep a Computer more secure:
{a} Independant softwares for each threat eg. a firewall from comodo, antivirus NOD32, Spyware Doctor, Trojan Remover, Spam blocker etc ?

{b} An internet Security software fully bundled with Antivirus, Antispyware, keylogger, firewall, Spam remover etc..?
eg Bitdefender 2008, Kaspersky internet security 7, Norton 360, Mcafee 2008 Trend micro

2. Is it necessary to use a seperate antivirus software and anti spyware with the Internet security? if not so, what will the side effect ?

for eg I am using kaspersky internet security 7 but want NOD 32 and spyware doc also installed experts please comment

Edited by phoenix_abhi, 06 March 2008 - 05:28 PM.

#91 Som

Som

Som

• 448 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

i'm surprised so many are using norton, i mean its a pile of crap

#92 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:45 PM

um yea, considering it has one of the best detection and removal rates, and the newer 07/08 editions use less resources, yea theyre accurate and fast, thats makes them shitty? maybe you should revisit norton?

happy symantec endpoint security user ^_^

#93 lareeth

lareeth

Super WinMatrixian

• 1,169 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:38 AM

um yea, considering it has one of the best detection and removal rates, and the newer 07/08 editions use less resources, yea theyre accurate and fast, thats makes them shitty? maybe you should revisit norton?

happy symantec endpoint security user ^_^

For an experiment I infected 1 out of 3 PC's on a network, Norton IS 08 was on all 3 PCs. the virus's totally infected all 3 PC's, A scan was then done on all 3 PC's, the Norton's found a few things but not much, so the pc's were formatted and reloaded. The same was done again, this time using Norton IS 07, same again. Norton 05 was also tried, that was even worse. So the whole thing was reset, this time AVG Free! was loaded onto each pc, the PC that started of infected found a lot of the virus's right away, however the network virus wasn't detected and has to be removed manually, once it was removed AVG Free found everything else and the PC's were still usable. AVG IS 7.5 was then used, this stopped the virus totally, nothing got across to the other PC's.

I wouldn't say AVG is the best anti-virus, but i would recommend it as it does a lot better than Norton.

#94 Munkypoo7

Munkypoo7

Proud WinMatrix Member

• 1,015 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

well then this comes down to this imo>

you use what you like, and what you think will protect you best in a worst case scenario, some like avast, or avg, kaspersky or any other name brand. all a matter of opinion.

perhaps since im kinda careful where i go online i dont get hit that often so symantec does a good job for me :P

#95 phoenix_abhi

phoenix_abhi

Phoenix

• 787 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

well then this comes down to this imo>

you use what you like, and what you think will protect you best in a worst case scenario, some like avast, or avg, kaspersky or any other name brand. all a matter of opinion.

perhaps since im kinda careful where i go online i dont get hit that often so symantec does a good job for me :P

I have earlier on my Xp symantec corporate edition installed and done a great job. But that version not working with vista. now i am shifted to NOD 32. I don't know i am getting attacked or not but nothing according to NOD 32. Earlier KIS 7 detected a lot of intrusions and spyware on same set up. Is nod 32 bad enough or it really working hard to stop them at bay ?

AVG is also a good one especially u go for their antispyware 7.5

One thing is sure, when ever u install a new antivirus, offline, that will detect atleast one virus. I had this with Symantec, Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, Avira, PC tools and before NOD 32, Kaspersky 7. All of them detected one virus or malware or spyware from my system except NOD 32. Before nod 32 Kaspersky done a fabulous job. So it is a fact that every antivirus software installs a low or medium threat virus or spyware in your system except Kaspersky. Why coz Nod 32 unable detect any symptom from my computer till todate. So I assumed that KIS 7 is the best one, but uses memory a bit more

MY VERDICT
1. SYMANTEC IS THE LEADING ANTIVIRUS TOOLS TILL XP NOT FOR VISTA (I HAVNOT EXPERIMENTED)
BUT NEED A LOT OF MEMORY FOR EACH APPLICATIONS. A 2GB RAM PC RUNS LIKE 512 MB

2. KASPERSKY INTERNET SECURITY 7 IS ALL IN ONE UTILITY AND BEST IN THE DEPARTMENT. IT STOP 99.99 % INTRUSIONS AND THE FIREWALL IS MORE STABLE. IT HAVE A LOT OF ACTVITIES RUNS SIMULTANEOUSLY. A LESS MEMORY HOGG THAN SYMANTEC

3. AVAST TOO DETECT AND REMOVE EFFECTIVELY BUT A LITTLE BIT SLOW COMPARE TO OTHERS. THE UPDATING IS VERY FAST THAN OTHERS. 4/5 CAN BE GIVEN. USES RAM AS MUCH AS OF KIS 7. FIREWALL AND SPYWARE NOT INCLUDED

4. I PREFER AVG ANTI SPYWARE OVER ANTIVIRUS. WILL GIVE A TEST RESULT LATER. WAITING FOR THE LATEST EDITION.

5. BITDEFENDER WAS AT NO 1 IN 2007 DECEMBER SURVEY, BUT NOW WILL FACE A STRONG COMPETITION FROM 'KIS' NEAR FUTURE

6. LAST BUT NOT LEAST NOD 32, I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS DOING? I AM HAPPY THAT MY THIS PC IS RUNNING FINE WITH THAT WITH OUT ANY DETECTION TILL TODATE AND A LARGE MEMORY RESOURCE AVAILABLE FOR OTHER FUNCTIONS. THIS ONE HAVE A ANTIVIRUS AND SPYWARE IN ONE PACK. ALL OPS NORMAL ! HUH

I HAVE 29 PCS WITH ME TO TEST ALL THIS TOOLS AND UTILITIES. NOD 32 IS CURRENTLY IN MY OWN PC. REST 28 MOST OF THEM WORKING IN XP AND SYMANTEC INSTALLED. A FEW OF THEM DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO THE OUTER WORLD AND KIS WORKING FINE WITH THEM.

AVAST IN 2 PC AND NONE OF THEM WITH AVG.

#96 vD3stroyiR(666)

vD3stroyiR(666)

Dekwul

• 696 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:04 PM

Avast! Anti-Virus isn't on the list... :(
Thus I voted other. :P

#97 juliankreuz

juliankreuz

WinMatrixian

• 124 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

Avira Antivir Premium Really Rocks search the test results on AV-Test.Org and AV-Comparatives.org

#98 SharkD

SharkD

New WinMatrixian

• 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:40 AM

Since Avast is not on the list, maybe a separate poll should be created for Avast vs. AVG?

#99 mhunkeyz

mhunkeyz

WinMatrixian

• 55 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:01 AM

I used Norton & McAfee before & both really slows down my computer.. I say Avast & AVG are the best right now!!!!!!! :D

#100 Naughty Kuchi-Patchi

Naughty Kuchi-Patchi

Netscape Fanboy

• 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

I've been using lots of different security products recently.

The ones I've used aren't listed.

I've been using 'Avast! 4 Home' Anti-Virus. I've used the U3 Portable version and I was very impressed.

It also talks with voice.

And I featured a Backup of the program in case it got attacked. It was very handy,

But Since I got my computer re-set I have been using a Beta of

'Microsoft One Care Version 2.5' It's brilliant. Aside from a few minor bugs (Like no user@live.com support) and a slightly slow user interface it's great all-in-one solution.

It also makes managing programs internet access a breeze.

But My schools IT co-ordinator made everyone install Sophos anti-virus. It's okay. Anything that you use to customize your computer instantly goes into the Quarantine. And it's slow and slows down startup loads. and it does not have an exit function and takes 4 1/2 minutes to load up the main console on a Core 2 Processor!
Plus its buggy and freezes frequently.
I cant believe it thought that Microsoft Silverlight was a virus!

It does have a handy service where you send a file your unsure about to Sophos and they inspect it for you.

McAfee is on my friends computer. It is really difficult to do anything on it without a McAfee password. And it can get attacked easily and fails to detect anything. And after updates expire, All your protection stops.

I've So far, never had to install any anti-virus on my Mac Book Air. But I haven't had it for very long. I may consider putting Avast! 4 OS X on it. But generaly OS X is security problem free. It's nice to experience what those mac users have had for a long time.

NKP

Edited by Naughty Kuchi-Patchi, 06 June 2008 - 08:58 AM.

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!