Is my graphics card dead now?!?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LazerFish

LazerFish

Active WinMatrixian

• 286 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:12 PM

I just got a new motherboard and processor (you can still see my last topic "is my motherboard really dead?" in this forum). They ran great. I also had a Radeon 9600XT, and with this new mobo and processor, it ran better than it ever had before.
That is, until I was playing a game and the screen went black. I powered down and waited a few minutes, then turned the PC on again... The screen stayed black, but I heard the windows startup sound after a few minutes. So I restarted again, same thing.
Then I shut it down again, moved the monitor cable to the onboard VGA port, and removed the 9600XT. When I restarted this time I got a god awful sort of buzzing/alarm that sounded like it was coming from the AGP slot. Windows started normally, visible on the onboard VGA, but the buzzing kept going.
So, I restarted and went into the BIOS and chose "Load Failsafe Defaults". The buzzing stopped and everything is now working fine using the onboard VGA.

My question is, is my 9600XT dead? I haven't tried reinstalling it yet, I just thought I'd see if these signs pointed to a dead graphics card.

If it is dead, what graphics card should I get now? It has to be an AGP (if I knew my graphics card was going to die so soon after getting a new mobo, I'd have got PCI-express :angry: ), I don't care if it's ATI or Nvidia.

Edit: Tried reinstalling, no luck. The screen is still black, but I can't hear windows start any more. The fan on the card still works, though. How can I tell if it's dead?

Edited by LazerFish, 24 September 2006 - 07:20 PM.

#2 thoosje

thoosje

Lolz Wooot!! 5 Stars

• 574 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:12 PM

try your graphic card in a diverent computer
i dont know where at school or at a friend and if it stil doestn work then its dead alright

#3 LazerFish

LazerFish

Active WinMatrixian

• 286 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:34 AM

Ok, I know this topic is old, but there have been some developments in this area.
I recently reinstalled windows completely, and thought I'd try my graphics card one last time. It actually worked this time... well, not completely, but it showed more than a black screen. This is how the display looked when I tried it this time:
Posted Image

The static was stationary, until I moved something, then it would leave streaks. Sometimes the static moved, and sometimes there were columns where the static would disappear. That picture is after I reinstalled the ATI drivers (it looked the same before, though).
I tried a 3D screensaver, and all that showed up were random polygons... which I take to not be a good sign.
Anyone seen anything like this before? Is it the card or the AGP slot?
If my card isn't dead, it must have severe brain damage :D

Edited by LazerFish, 01 November 2006 - 07:02 AM.

#4 Jatin

Jatin

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:47 AM

I think the problem is with the card itself, is it within warranty period?
I too faced some what similar problem with my old 6600GT AGP card. Immediately I returned it and got a new card in a few days.

#5 LazerFish

LazerFish

Active WinMatrixian

• 286 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:57 PM

I think it had a 3-year warranty, but It's over 3 years old. I wanted a new one anyway, lol. At least it's not a problem with the AGP slot, the motherboard is only about 2 months old.

I'm thinking of getting a GeForce 7800 AGP card, but they're pretty expensive. can anyone reccommend anything else? The one I looked at was $350, what could I get for around $200?

#6 Freka

Freka

Super WinMatrixian

• 2,758 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:55 AM

get the new ati 512 mb video card its 200 bux

Want to comment?

Register or Sign In to go completely ad-free!